Monday, October 8, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

I'd always been intrigued by rhubarb but never had an opportunity to try it, until today. It was on sale and it seemed like a perfect time to try to do something with it. My excitement was cut short when I got around to preparing it. It was like cutting celery. Stringy. And it had the mild aroma of cut grass. I was not impressed. I didn't want this in my dessert. But I pressed on because I wanted to say I tried it at least once. I'm glad I did because this cobbler is delicious!
This recipe is based off of this one, although I made some changes based on my personal taste and the ingredients I had on hand.



Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

 2 cups chopped rhubarb
 2 cups strawberries, chopped
 1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
 1 tablespoon lemon juice

 Cobbler crust:
 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

 • Preheat oven to 350° and coat a 9in square pan with butter.
 • You want to clean and thinly slice the rhubarb and get rid of any strings that are easy to remove. I used 3 stalks to get the chopped 2 cups. For the strawberries, clean them as you usually would, then chop them the same size as the rhubarb.
• In a large bowl, mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice together and let sit while you mix the crust.
 • For the crust, mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix the butter into that and when it is evenly incorporated, add the milk, egg and vanilla. Mix quickly.
 • Now it's time to assemble the cobbler. Put the rhubarb-strawberry mixture into the baking dish. Then spoon the cobbler crust over the fruit evenly.
 • Bake for 30 minutes and eat with ice cream, if you have some!

No comments:

Post a Comment